EASY BACKPACK SEWING PATTERN
Hazelnut is a retro old-school style easy backpack sewing pattern with three sizes available. If you want to carry your computer, opt for the Big version that fits a 15’’ laptop, which is stored in a different compartment. The Medium one would work with 13’’ laptops and last, the Mini, perfect for kids of all ages. Of course, you can also make the Big and Medium sizes without the laptop compartment, mix and match the straps or use buttons or snaps instead of press locks.
All versions are lined, they come with two front pockets and an internal one. You’ve also got the option of adding a zip at the top and choosing between padded straps or simple ones. With detailed instructions, technical drawings and tips to get the best results, Hazelnut is the backpack that you will take everywhere with you. And! we have a YouTube tutorial with all the steps to help you from start to finish.
SUGGESTED FABRICS FOR OUR EASY BACKPACK SEWING PATTERN
• Outer fabric: cotton canvas, PVC fabric, oilcloth, fake leather, dry oilskin…
• Lining fabric: quilting cotton would work best. Also, if you are choosing a PVC fabric or a waterproof dry oilskin, you may not need to line your bag.
• Big and medium versions – 150cm / 60’’ width: 1m / 1.09 yards of outer fabric.
• Big and medium versions – 115cm / 45’’ width: 1.40m / 1.5 yards of outer fabric.
• Lining big and medium versions no laptop, approx. all widths: 1m / 1.09 yards.
• Lining big and medium with laptop, approx. all widths: 1.40m / 1.5 yards.
• Mini version – 115cm / 45’’ width & 150cm / 60’’ width: 0.60m / 24 inches of outer fabric and 0.50m / 20 inches of lining.
TOOLS AND SUPPLIES
• Sewing machine.
• Matching thread and optional topstitching thread.
• A 46cm/18’’ closed end zip for top (big), 41cm/16’’ (medium) and 36cm/14’’ (mini). Also a 20cm/8’’ closed end zip for inside pocket (big and medium), 18cm/7’’ (mini). Two, if you want to add another ‘anti-theft’ zip at the back of the backpack.
• 2 sliders with a width matching the one of the webbing/straps (2.5cm advised).
• 2 press locks (measurements change depending on brand. Choose the one that fits your backpack better) or 2 buttons if you prefer that option or 2 snaps.
• 2 rectangular rings with a width of 4cm for the handle.
• Around 2m/2.19 yards of webbing for the option without padded straps and 1.50m/1.6 yards for the option with padded straps. Apart from this you will need a strip of webbing that will run across the straps to secure them in place: 45cm/18’’ (Big), 40cm/16’’ (Medium) and 30cm/12’’ (Mini).
• Interfacing: 0.90m/36 inches (big and medium) or 0.50m/20 inches (mini).
• Wadding or foam: 0.50m/20’’ inches for padded straps and laptop compartment.
• Other sewing tools: zip presser foot, chalk or fabric pen, scissors, pins, needles, tape measure…
Our easy backpack sewing pattern Hazelnut is perfect for those who have never made a backpack or accessories. As there are so many options to choose from, you will be able to sew the one that suits your abilities and also learn some new techniques along the way.
Hazelnut comes in 3 different sizes: Big 10 x 40 x 35 / 4” x 16” x 14” (width, length, height). Medium 9 x 35 x 31 / 3.5” x 14” x 12” (width, length, height) and Mini 8 x 30 x 23 / 3” x 12” x 9” (width, length, height).
Find inspiration for your Hazelnut backpack pattern thanks to our amazing team of testers.
*The easy backpack sewing pattern Hazelnut is sold in a PDF format. This means you will receive an email with a link to download the pattern and instructions. Then, you will find two printing options available. First, A4 (divided in different sizes). Second, a copy shop version of the sewing pattern so that you can skip the assembling part. In addition, if you prefer US letter, there’s an option already included on the files.
**If you have any doubt or question please send us an email to [email protected]
****Products and services, including products available for sell, are for personal use only, therefore no commercial use is allowed. You acknowledge and agree you are not entitled to copy, print or distribute the products, including sewing patterns, to others, whether you profit from it or not, nor to sell or gift garments/accessories that you have made from our products.
All products under the ©CocoWawa Crafts’ copyright are licensed. CocoWawa Crafts is a registered trade mark.